Monday 28 May 2012

Beauty Queen

Guess everyone loves to decorate their living space with photographs - photos of the family, friends and oneself. Time came to look at my walls and I decided to hang photos of me and my husband in some simple minimal black frames as it fits the most in my apartment and matches the furniture. One evening I opened my quite huge Aperture photolibrary to choose three or four photos, spent more then an hour and could find just one or two that were “kinda” ok but could be better. That was a discovery – a photographer that doesn’t have her own photos. How could I have missed myself?



Photograper: Valeriya Zhmak
Model: myself Katya Smol
Edited by me at Zodiac Photography studio

Fortunately, I have several friends that are also in this field and take wonderful photos. So, not waiting any longer I’ve organized a small fun shoot and with a talented photographer and editor of Russian World newspaper published in Vancouver and Seattle. I decided to start with myself and she suggested me to try to step into a model’s shoes and get the feeling and experience of what it takes to be on the otherside of a view finder. Should admit it was not that easy, so many things to watch for – hair, pose, hands, chin, facial expression, being natural, relaxed, not to fake smile; have I mentioned pose, hands and hair?... Oh….  To make the long story short, it was lots of fun and lots of creativity when two talanted people meet and work together.






Photograper: Valeriya Zhmak
Model: myself Katya Smol
Edited by me at Zodiac Photography Studio

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos!

    Luckily, it's not too difficult for you to occupy either spot: Photog or Model.

    :P

    Jasper

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good experience, no I can give directions to models if needed and actually see more through the viewfinder as a photographer now.

    ReplyDelete